• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Charlie Hebdo expands print run

January 15, 2015
Reading Time: 4 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Millions more copies of French weekly Charlie Hebdo are being printed after the first run sold out in hours.

The normal print run of 60,000 was extended to five million – a week after Islamist gunmen murdered 12 people at the magazine’s offices and five others in subsequent attacks in Paris.

The “survivors’ issue” has angered some Muslims by depicting the Prophet Muhammad on its cover.

A video purportedly from al-Qaeda in Yemen said it planned the Hebdo attack.

US state department spokeswoman Marie Harf said they believed the video was authentic but could not determine if its claims were true.

The group, AQAP, had previously welcomed the attack, without acknowledging any role in the operation.

The gunmen are said to have used earlier publication of images of the Prophet as justification for their attack on the magazine.

Charlie Hebdo’s latest cover shows a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad weeping while holding a sign saying “I am Charlie”, and below the headline “All is forgiven”.

People queue to get a copy of satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo in front of a kiosk in Paris on 14 January 2015.
People waited for kiosks to open to buy the magazine
A note that reads: "No more Charlie Hebdo" is posted after all copies of the satirical newspaper were sold out at a newsstand in Paris, 14 January 2015
All copies of the magazine were sold out by Wednesday morning at this Paris newsstand
Jean Paul Bierlein reads the new Charlie Hebdo outside a newsstand in Nice, south-eastern France, 14 January 2015
Some kiosks said they had received dozens of reservation requests

“I am Charlie” emerged as a message of support for the magazine following the attack on 7 January, which left eight journalists, including its editor, dead in addition to four others.

In a separate attack in Paris two days later, an Islamist gunman killed four Jewish men and took hostages at a kosher shop.

The same attacker is believed to have shot a policewoman the day before.

‘Charlie is alive’

Normally Charlie Hebdo prints 60,000 copies but the planned run increased steadily this week – from one million to three million to five million.

The “survivors’ issue”, as the magazine calls it, is available in six languages including English, Arabic and Turkish. Proceeds are going to victims’ families.

President Francois Hollande has insisted the magazine and its values will continue.

“Charlie Hebdo is alive and will live on,” he said. “You can assassinate men and women but you will never kill their ideas.”

Charlie Hebdo’s decision to publish another cartoon of the Prophet drew threats from militant Islamist websites and criticism from the Islamic world.

A man waves a flag reading 'Je suis Charlie' during a unity rally in Paris. Photo: 11 January 2015
On Sunday, about 1.5 million people rallied in Paris in a show of solidarity with the victims

The Islamic State (IS) militant group said it was “an extremely stupid act”.

Meanwhile, a new video apparently from AQAP said the group had planned and financed the Charlie Hebdo attacks in “vengeance for the Prophet”.

It said it was a “success” that the magazine shootings had “coincided” with the attacks by supermarket gunman Amedy Coulibaly.

Coulibaly had pledged allegiance to IS in a video message while the Charlie Hebdo attackers, Said and Cherif Kouachi, had said they were acting on behalf of AQAP.

Coulibaly had said they had co-ordinated the attacks but experts say it is highly unlikely IS and AQAP, rivals in the Middle East, would work together.

Meanwhile a lawyer for Said Kouachi’s wife, Soumya, has told the BBC she had no idea he was an extremist. He said Kouachi had kissed his wife goodbye and told her he was visiting his brother, because he was unwell, just hours before the Charlie Hebdo attack.

“It’s beyond her understanding, her world has fallen apart,” the lawyer, Antoine Flasaquier, said.

Ban on distribution

The magazine’s release comes after millions – including dozens of world leaders – took part in a unity rally in Paris on Sunday.

Outside France, the Washington Post, Germany’s Frankfurter Allgemeine, Corriere della Sera in Italy and the UK’s Guardian are among publications that have shown the latest cartoon.

The BBC has published the image in a previous story and in a statement said: “We have made the editorial judgment that the images are central to reporting the story.”‘

Meanwhile, the interior minister of Senegal – whose president took part in the Paris march – has issued an order banning the distribution of the magazine, according to the national news agency.

Comedian arrested

Several hundred people attended the funeral on Wednesday of Michel Renaud, who was killed while visiting Charlie Hebdo’s offices.

Ceremonies were held for seven other victims in France and Israel on Tuesday.

 

Source: BBC

Tags: Papa Owusu Ankomah
Previous Post

Let’s respect ‘religious sensibilities’ – Christian Council to Ghanaians

Next Post

Avatar 2 delayed to 2017

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always