The National Democratic Congress’ (NDC) parliamentary primaries in the North Tongu constituency in the Volta Region may not come off on November 21, as a disqualified aspirant, Christopher Kofi Eleblu, is in court seeking an injunction on the elections.
A writ of summons filed by his lawyer, is praying the court for a number of reliefs including a declaration that he is a proven leader or leading member of the NDC.
The defendants in the suit are the NDC National Chairman, Kofi Portuphy, Volta Regional NDC Chairman, Mr. Joseph Kwabena Gyapong, and North Tongu Constituency Chairman, Mr. Moses Amenudor.
[contextly_sidebar id=”Pr2BJeh206JxzdAxq3n26Dw1tcsz3eGd”]Following his disqualification, counsel for Eleblu, Hansen Kofi Adde, petitioned the NDC General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia and other high profile executives of the party including the former President Jerry John Rawlings and President John Dramani Mahama.
Speaking to Citi FM on Eyewitness News, Mr Eleblu said he was left with no option than to resort to the court, since the party had failed to restore his candidature.
He said during vetting in Ho, his session was truncated to be continued later in Accra, but when he reported to Accra on October 12, it did not come off and other attempts failed.
He said he was later told on October 23, that he had been disqualified based on a letter the vetting committee had received from the Attorney General’s Department concerning a fraudulent case he was once involved in.
He said he filed an appeal on October 26, but he has been ignored hence his decision to go to the court to stop the primaries in North Tongu. Mr. Eleblu contested the NDC parliamentary primaries in 2012 in North Tongu, and lost marginally to Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, now the incumbent MP.
Mr. Eleblu said Mr. Ablakwa is likely to be behind the machinations to oust him from the race.
“I felt that I had not been handled the way I should considering that as a leading member I contested the primaries on the party’s ticket ahead of the 2012 elections. I don’t know who else will be so interested in my disqualification apart from Hon. Ablakwa”.
Asked whether he had evidence to support his claim, he said Mr. Ablakwa’s supporters had been heard on several occasions saying that he [Eleblu] was going to be disqualified.
Mr. Eleblu was disqualified by the NDC National Petition Review Committee on grounds that he had been arraigned before an Accra High Court (Financial Division) for defrauding the state to the tune of GH₵646,000.00
The former Director of Internal Audit Unit at the Ministry of Health was said to have received payment in 2008 for a maintenance contract which was never executed.
His counsel, Hansen Kofi Adde, has since contested against the decision insisting that the charges brought against by his client lacked merit and therefore, was qualified to contest the primaries.
The High Court has set aside Friday, November 13, 2015 to hear the case.
By: Ebenezer Afanyi Dadzie/citifmonline.com/Ghana