A group of disgruntled youth of the incumbent National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Evalue Jomoro-Gwira Constituency of the Western Region, have vowed to vote against the party’s incumbent Member of Parliament, if the party disqualifies one Herbert Kuah Dickson, from contesting the November 7 parliamentary primaries.
The group, calling itself the Concerned Youth of Evalue Gwira-Jomoro constituency is alleging that the incumbent MP Kweku Tanikyi, is plotting to get Kuah Dickson disqualified to enable him contest unopposed.
According to the youth, the incumbent MP, who has lost touch with the constituents, has also succeeded in fueling division in the constituency.
[contextly_sidebar id=”xR0f7j4aXFRkJc984YpSiRI8tIWSlvvB”]The youth in a statement cautioned that if the party disqualifies their preferred candidate, they will resort to what has become known in the Ghanaian political landscape as ‘skirt and blouse’ voting in the 2016 general elections.
This means they will vote for the party’s presidential candidate and vote against the parliamentary candidate.
Below is the group’s statement
Evalue Gwira needs a Contest: Disqualify Herbert Dickson and we will vote ‘Skirt and Blouse’ in 2016
Our attention have been drawn to some attempts by the incumbent MP, Kweku Tanikyi Kessie through some old constituency executives to use some means to ensure that he the MP goes unopposed by seeking to disqualify Mr. Herbert Kuah Dickson, his main contender who is gaining popularity and support of the Chiefs and youth within the constituency.
We are aware of the petition that was shamefully written and sent to the Regional Chairman calling for Mr. Herbert’s disqualification with bogus allegations that he is not an NDC member and do not come from the constituency, an allegation which is full of mischief and unattainable.
The MP upon being alarmed of the surprise of having a contender wanted to use some means to discourage Mr. Kuah from contesting him by using some prominent Chiefs in the area to use their office to compel Mr. Herbert Kuah Dickson to step down for him to enable him go unopposed and perpetuate himself as an MP.
He (Hon. Kessie) hardly come home to visit his constituents and this has caused the wrath of the youth in the constituency.
Areas where he can popularise and sell himself such as public gatherings thus kundum Dunbars, Independence Day, Farmers Day and even funerals among others; he refuse to attend where his opponent Mrs. Catherine Afeku has taken advantage to gain more exposure and popularity.
Again, what is most annoying is that he secretly sneaks out of the constituency without anyone noticing his presence. It is painful to note that the MP after assuming office has failed to keep in touch with the electorate neither showing any seriousness that he will be contesting in the 2016 election.
We are therefore demanding the following answers:
1. Did he (Hon Kessie) come to vote during the election the just district level Assembly election?
2. Did he have his vote in the constituency before coming to contest in 2012?
3. As an Mp of the ruling government did he support party activities to achieve the better Ghana agenda in the constituency?
4. Do we continue to vote for an Mp who have vowed not to work with the current constituency executives whom he calls an ‘own goal players’?.
5. Why is he using the chiefs and other top personalities to frustrate the young man from contesting, if he believes he has worked hard and won the heart of the Chiefs and people.
6. Has he not lost touch with the people including the Chiefs he is lobbying?
5. Why has he resorted to work with the failed old executives instead of the current executives?
His communist attitude has brought marginal division within the rank and file of the party in the constituency.
6. Do we continue to vote for an Mp whose legacy he wants to achieve is to remove the Municipal Chief Executive who is working so hard to make the NDC formidable in the area by paying some group to always to fabricate negative stories to tarnish the image of the MCE and the party when was ill-fed with the information that the MCE was a probable candidate to contest him in 2016.
7. Is he not the one who has negatively influenced the old executives not to din and wine with the current executives?.
8. Does he attend party meetings in the constituency and caucus meetings at the region?.
We need to know all these and if he gives us positive reasons, we will support him in the primaries.
From the records Mr. Dickson is a Ghanaian who typically hails from Gwira Sikaneasem in the constituency and has a building in his village (an eight bedroom self contain).
He has been with the party since 2004 and was a member of the Takoradi Polytechnic branch of TEIN during his tertiary level education and contributed immensely towards the welfare of the party since the last ten years.
We did know Mr. Dickson formerly registered in the Prestea/Huni Valley Constituency, but we are aware of his already transferred vote to Sikaneasem Polling Station, his hometown.
We the concerned youth of the NDC in the Evalue Ajomoro Gwira Constituency wishes to state categorically that Mr. Herbert Kuah Dickson should be made to contest in the November 7, primaries or we will resort to ‘the Skirt and Blouse’ system in the 2016 election, since Hon. Kessie has woefully lost touch with the people especially we at the grassroots level.
Everybody you interview either in Axim and it’s environs as well as the Southern and Northern Gwira, they echoed the same statement that the party risk losing the seat if he (Hon. Kessie) is made to contest again. To add, his actions and in actions indicate that he is not a politician.
His lackadaisical attitude has brought to disrupt, anger, apathy among the followers of the party in the constituency.
We are appealing to the regional executives to desist from using any form of Mafia tactics to disqualify Mr. Dickson with the flimsy allegation that he doesn’t vote in the constituency, since we the youth are waiting and watching carefully the purported attempts to disqualify Mr. Dickson from contesting and allowing Hon. Kessie to go unopposed.
We further call for a fair contesting instead of using all means to compel we the party followers of Evalue Ajomoro Gwira to eat and swallow a ‘rotten meat’ at a gun point.
Evalue Ajomoro Gwira deserves better and we call for clean and fair election.
Long live the NDC
Long live the people of Evalue Ajomoro Gwira
Frank Somiah Andoh – Organiser
By: Ebenezer Afanyi Dadzie/citifmonline.com/Ghana