Two members of a family died, while three others are in critical condition, after allegedly inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from their generator which was placed in a room adjoining theirs in their newly constructed house at Duase on the Kumasi-Antoa road.
Three-year-old Aisha Iddrisu and her mother, Amama Iddrisu, were found dead in their place of abode, which has a mosque attached to it.
The father, Abdulai Iddrisu, 38, and his two sons, Baby Umar and Rabo Baba, aged five months and five years, respectively, are at the Intensive Care Unit of the Manhyia Hospital in Kumasi.
The Hospital Administrator, Mr Samuel Dodzi, confirmed the admission of the three but stated that he could not provide any further details.
Neighbours confirmed that the area experienced a power outage on Sunday night and that the family had a generator which was placed in one of their bedrooms, from whose exhaust fumes they asphyxiated.
When the Daily Graphic got to the scene of the incident, family members and neighbours had gathered in the house, while a few policemen were around to ensure that no intruder got access to the house.
The police are treating the area as a crime scene.
According to neighbours, the family moved to the house less than a month ago but around 11 a.m. yesterday their watchman, who could not understand why no member of the family had been seen coming out raised an alarm.
Mr Osei Boateng, who lived close to the area, told the Daily Graphic that some neighbours who knew some close relatives of the Iddrisu Family informed those relatives about the unusual disappearance of the family.
The source said when the relatives came around; they broke into the room, which had sliding doors and windows, only to find the entire family lying unconscious in a billow of fumes.
It was detected that the mother had passed on, while the four others were in critical condition. However, Aisha was also pronounced dead on arrival at the Manhyia Hospital.
On February, 4, 2015, a man and a lady believed to be his lover were found dead in a single room at Gbegbeyise, near Dansoman in Accra.
Frank Arhin, 32, and his lover inhaled fumes from their generator which was placed in their single room which served both as living and bedroom.
Another tragedy hit a UK-based Ghanaian, Kwaku Adom, and his female lover who were also found dead in their room at Kukurantumi in the Eastern Region on May 9, 2015.
Seventy-two-year-old Adom and Theresa Adobea were found naked on their bed close to a room which housed the generator.
Source: Graphic Online