• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Nigeria unrest: Mosque attack death toll over 100

December 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Nigeria unrest: Mosque attack death toll over 100
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

More than 100 people died in an attack on a Nigerian mosque on Friday, local government and hospital officials say.

The president of Nigeria has vowed “to leave no stone unturned” in tracking down the perpetrators of the gun and bomb attack during Friday’s prayers in the northern city of Kano.

Goodluck Jonathan urged the nation “to confront the common enemy”.

No-one has so far claimed the attack but officials say it bears the hallmarks of Boko Haram militant group.

Kano’s Central Mosque, where the attack took place, is where the influential Muslim leader, the emir of Kano, usually leads prayers.

Emir Muhammed Sanusi had recently called for people to arm themselves against Boko Haram, and there have been suggestions that the attack was in response to that call.

However, on Saturday the emir dismissed the claims, saying it must have taken at least two months to plan the attack. He made the comments during a visit to the mosque.

Boko Haram, a Sunni Islamist group, has been waging an insurgency in Nigeria since 2009 and has killed more than 2,000 people this year, human rights groups say.

line

At the scene: Will Ross, Nigeria correspondent

It is a scene of absolute devastation inside the oldest mosque in Kano.

The attack has caused a lot of anger in the city.

Out on the streets there is still tension. There are police moving around and occasionally people running helter-skelter not knowing quite what is going on. It is a city on edge.

To give an idea of the level of anger – three of the gunmen were actually overpowered when they were shooting worshippers outside the mosque and they were beaten and burnt to death on the spot.

line

‘Common enemy’

President Jonathan ordered the country’s security services “to launch a full-scale investigation and to leave no stone unturned until all agents of terror undermining the right of every citizen to life and dignity are tracked down and brought to justice”.

People assist an injured man in Kano. Photo: 28 November 2014A number of the injured are being treated at Kano’s hospital
Police officers at the scene of the attack in Kano
Eyewitnesses spoke of three bomb explosions and a gunfight near the mosque

He said Nigerians should “remain united to confront the common enemy”.

The government, he said, would “continue to take every step to put an end to the reprehensible acts of all groups and persons involved in acts of terrorism”.

Three bomb explosions were reported in and around the mosque. The attackers also shot at worshippers.

 

Source: BBC

 

Tags: Papa Owusu Ankomah
Previous Post

Gov’t must notify us on planned confiscation – Amoateng’s lawyer

Next Post

Huge risk of Ebola spread, warns UN

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always