• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Ebola ‘contained in Senegal and Nigeria’

September 23, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
Ebola ‘contained in Senegal and Nigeria’
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The World Health Organisation has said the Ebola epidemic that has killed 2,811 in West Africa has been contained in Senegal and Nigeria.

The UN health agency said on Monday that Senegal had not reported any new cases of the virus since the first case was reported on August 29, while the last case reported in Nigeria was on September 8.

“On the whole, the outbreaks in Senegal and Nigeria are pretty much contained,” a WHO statement said.

The incubation period for Ebola is 21 days, and double that time must pass without any new cases arising before a country can be deemed transmission-free.

Both Senegal and Nigeria implemented strict measures to isolate the ill and track down further possible cases. Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone have failed to impose such steos, allowing the disease to take hold.

The announcement came as Nigerian students prepared to return to school after an enforced summer break because of Ebola.

However, the WHO said the world’s worst outbreak of the virus remained a “public health emergency of international concern.”

The WHO, also said a total of 5,864 people had been infected in five west African countries as of September 18, and had claimed 181 lives since the last death toll of 2,630 was issued on September 14.

Guinea, where the outbreak began at the start of the year, and neighbouring Liberia and Sierra Leone by far account for most of the cases and continue to see ballooning numbers.

Liberia had been hit hardest, with 1,578 deaths from 3,022 cases.

The spread of the disease has threatened to undo progress made in rebuilding Liberia and Sierra Leone after their wars of the 1990s, and exposed the fragility of the state in Guinea.

 

Source: Aljazeera

Tags: Papa Owusu Ankomah
Previous Post

Miss Asogli 2014 survives accident, loses father

Next Post

Cape Town shuts pro-gay mosque

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always