• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Fifa bans Beckenbauer for 90 days

June 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Fifa bans Beckenbauer for 90 days
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Franz Beckenbauer has been provisionally banned from all footballing activities by Fifa – for “failing to co-operate” with its inquiry into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process.

The World Cup winning German legend had been asked to help with a Fifa ethics investigation led by lawyer Michael Garcia.

Beckenbauer, 68, was part of the Fifa executive committee that voted to give the tournament to Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022.

He has been banned for 90 days.

Beckenbauer captained West Germany to victory as hosts at the 1974 World Cup, and was coach when they next lifted the trophy in Italy 16 years later.

He then managed at Olympique Marseille and Bayern Munich, where he is now honorary president.

Fifa said Beckenbauer ignored “repeated requests” to assist with an independent investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.

No details have been given on what Garcia wanted to speak to Beckenbauer about.

Garcia’s remit includes looking into allegations that Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling £3m to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid – as set out in a Sunday Times investigation.

But Beckenbauer said: “I politely requested a meeting in which we could talk about the matter in German. That was apparently not desired. That aside, I wouldn’t be able to contribute anything to clear up the matter anyway.”

World football’s governing body said Beckenbauer was asked to supply answers to written questions provided in both English and German.

In a statement, Fifa said: “The apparent breach relates to Mr Beckenbauer’s failure to co-operate with an ethics committee investigation despite repeated requests for his assistance.

“The case is now the subject of formal investigation proceedings being conducted by investigatory chamber member Vanessa Allard as chief of the investigation.”

Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce said: “This very much shows once again how the Fifa reform process is working. The independent ethics committee are doing a good job and should have the full support of everybody.”

Garcia says he now has “almost all” of the documents referred to by the Sunday Times report.

On Friday, Beckenbauer told German television: “I am the Bayern Munich honorary president. Even if I cannot do this for 90 days it is something the honorary president can survive.”

 

Source: BBC

Tags: Dr Mahamudu BawumiaGhana News
Previous Post

GM recalls more cars over ignition concerns

Next Post

World Cup 2014: Robin van Persie praise Netherlands boss

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always