• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Embattled Montie FM panellists ‘harmless’ – BNI

July 8, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) has said their investigations have shown that the two radio panelists who threatened the lives of judges in the country are actually harmless.

A statement from the BNI said the two – Alistair Nelson and Godwin Ako Gunn do not have the capability of unleashing mayhem on the judges since they made the claims “in a show of needless bravado.”

“At the interrogation, the two suspects admitted making those statements and acknowledged that their remarks were regrettable and unfortunate. Further checks by the BNI have however established that the suspects were incapable of carrying out pronouncements but did so in a show of needless bravado,” the statement added.

[contextly_sidebar id=”TBjNm2kNptp8fmFCofiQSLXmCbfxZx5H”]Alistair Nelson and Godwin Ako Gunn who appeared on Accra-based Montie FM last week threatened to kill some Supreme Court and High Court judges if they made any demeaning ruling against the Electoral Commission in the Abu Ramadan case.

The statement also said the two admitted to making the threats.

“At the interrogation, the two suspects admitted making those statements and acknowledged that their remarks were regrettable and unfortunate.”

“Nevertheless, our investigations are ongoing and the suspects are reporting to the BNI three times a week. The BNI further observes that thus far several electronic and print media outlets have become notorious for their intemperate vituperations, personal attacks and outright insults, among others. This is a serious security concern that we will not allow to fester,” the statement added.

Montie FM panelists, host face Supreme Court on July 12

Meanwhile, the two panellists as well as the host of the Pampaso show on which the threats were made, Mugabe Maase have been cited for contempt and are expected to appear before the Supreme Court on July 12, 2016.

Below is the full statement:

The Bureau of National Investigations on 3 July 2016 questioned two radio commentators, namely Alistair Tairo Nelson, 41, and Godwin Ako Gun, 39, on comments they aired on Montie FM, an Accra-based radio station attacking justices of the supreme court.

The arrest was premised on the fact that their comments were considered provocative, inflammatory and unacceptable and had the potential of creating security challenges.

In arresting the two, the BNI took into consideration, the current volatile security situation in the country as we inch towards the 2016 elections.

At the interrogation, the two suspects admitted making those statements and acknowledged that their remarks were regrettable and unfortunate.

Further checks by the BNI have however established that the suspects were incapable of carrying out pronouncements but did so in a show of needless bravado.

Nevertheless, our investigations are ongoing and the suspects are reporting to the BNI three times a week.

The BNI further observes that thus far several electronic and print media outlets have become notorious for their intemperate vituperations, personal attacks and outright insults, among others.

This is a serious security concern that we will not allow to fester.

As part of our constitutional mandate to safeguard Ghana’s political environment for all Ghanaians, we advise all discussants to avoid intemperate and inflammatory language and innuendos that have the tendency to create fear and panic and that tend to cause breaches of the peace.

The Bureau notes that the rights of self-expression and media freedom are enshrined in our constitution, and several governmental and non-governmental institutions such as the National Media Commission (NMC), the National Communications Authority (NCA), the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) and other civil society organisations recognised by statutes or otherwise have a primary responsibility to regulate the communications sector and avoid inflammatory comments that has the potential to threaten the peace and stability of the country.

The Bureau assures the judiciary, the good people of Ghana and all foreigners within the jurisdiction that we shall continue to work with all the other state security agencies to ensure their safety at all times.

We also advise media house owners, show hosts, panellists and other radio communicators to conduct all discussions with decorum, tolerance and respect for the constitutional rights of others.

This will ensure peace before, during and after the upcoming elections.

We will not hesitate to invoke the full sanctions of the law against any media house, which ignores this warning.

END

Issued from: BNI HQ, ACCRA

–

By: Godwin A. Allotey/citifmonline.com/Ghana
Follow @AlloteyGodwin

Previous Post

Judge orders Bill Cosby sex assault trial to proceed

Next Post

Koforidua hospital appeals for increased blood support

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always