• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Threats on judges: Montie FM sanctions host, bans panelists

July 6, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Spiritual comedians – Joking on radio?   
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Management of Accra-based Montie FM, has banned the two panelists who threatened to eliminate judges of the Supreme Court, until further notice, barely a day after the Supreme cited the owners of the station, the host, and the two panelists for contempt.

The radio station, in a statement signed by its General Manager, Mutala Mohammed, also apologized to the Chief Justice and Justices of the Supreme Court over the seemingly incendiary comments.

[contextly_sidebar id=”zEdFHdgGaieJ2Tk9USHFHMLUztlObHLb”]“The management of “Montie” FM wishes to render its sincerest apologies to Her Ladyship the Chief Justice, Justices of the Supreme Court and the Bench in general for the use of its platform by certain panelists recently to make statements that appear to threaten the safety of the Supreme Court Bench.”

“Management condemns absolutely the said statements which it considers regrettable and dissociates itself from those statements,” the statement said.

We won’t condone any action that undermines justice 

The management of Montie FM further assured Ghanaians of its resolve not to “condone any action that will in any way tend to undermine the administration of justice in our country, nor shall management condone any action that will tend to compromise the safety and security of members of the judiciary or the peace and stability of Ghana.”

What the two panelists said

The two panelists, Alistair Nelson and Godwin Ako Gunn during a current affairs programme on the radio station, threatened to “finish” the Supreme Court and High Court judges if they made any judgment against the Electoral Commission in the ongoing court case challenging the validity of the voters’ register .

The two commentators are said to have been angered by the court’s orders for the EC to submit all the names of person who registered with NHIS cards prior to the 2012 elections last week.

GBA condemns Montie FM panelists

The Ghana Bar Association (GBA), earlier called for the arrest and prosecution of the two, saying the comments “were also meant to incite hatred among the public against the judges” while the GJA in the statement called on media owners as well as the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA), to prevent intemperate language on the airwaves especially ahead of the 2016 general elections.

Alistair Nelson, one of the panelists, has since apologized for his comment, whereas the other, Godwin Ako Gunn, has denied being part of the radio programme during which the comments were made.

–

By: Marian Ansah/citifmonline.com/Ghana
Follow @EfeAnsah

Previous Post

We’ve not introduced electricity subsidies – Mahama

Next Post

Boston cabbie shocked at $100 reward for returning $187,000 left in his taxi

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always