• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

12 arrested as Belgium swoops on terror suspects

June 18, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Police in Belgium have made 12 arrests in a huge anti-terror operation, nearly three months after the deadly bomb attacks on Brussels.

Those detained overnight are suspected of plotting a terrorist attack, prosecutors say. They were among 40 taken in for questioning.

Searches were conducted in 16 municipalities, mainly around Brussels, with checks on 152 lock-up garages.

On 22 March, bombs killed 32 people at a Brussels airport and a metro station.

No arms or explosives were found during the searches, which passed off without incident, Belgium’s federal prosecutor said in a statement.

Among the areas where searches took place was Molenbeek, a Brussels district which has become notorious because of its associations with jihadists.

The federal prosecutor said the operation had been launched after investigations which “necessitated an immediate intervention”.

However, the Belgian government has not raised the threat level.

There were several warnings of new attacks in recent days.

On Friday evening, four federal ministers including Prime Minister Charles Michel were placed under heightened police protection along with their families, Belgian media report.

Belgian police are said to have recently received a warning that a group of militants from the so-called Islamic State (IS) group had left Syria en route for Europe, planning new attacks in Belgium and France.

A police officer with a dog in Brussels, 17 June

An unnamed security source was quoted by Belgian newspaper DH (in French) on Wednesday as saying the group had “left Syria about a week-and-a-half ago aiming to reach Europe via Turkey and Greece by boat without passports”.

Meanwhile, a Belgian national named as Youssef EA was arrested on Friday and charged on suspicion of terrorist activities in connection with the March attacks, which were claimed by IS.

Belgian media report that he is the eighth person to have been charged over the attacks, which were carried out by three suicide bombers.

Investigators have established connections between the Brussels bombers and the IS attacks on Paris on 13 November, in which 130 people were killed.

Several of the Paris bombers came from Belgium and some of the bombs were made in a flat in Brussels.

–

Source: BBC

Previous Post

Woman hits boyfriend with car after she finds out he has HIV [Video]

Next Post

7 Questions you must ask yourself if you want love that lasts for a lifetime

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always