• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

GHc44m released to settle feeding grant arrears

June 18, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read

Seth Terkper, former Minister of Finance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Finance Ministry says it has released GHc 44.9 million to settle arrears owed Senior High Schools across the country whose feeding grants have not been paid.

Of the said amount, over GHc35 million will be disbursed to schools in the three regions of the north to pay part of the debts owed them by government.

This  comes at a time when  hundreds  of students especially in  the three regions of the north, are  reported  to have  been sent home  due to   government’s inability  to pay the grants  for the  three terms.

[contextly_sidebar id=”zLj3DfCX88k0q96QPurKnC55O3ptr1cZ”]In a Citi News interview, the Director at the Scholarship Secretariat, Fuseini Lansah, said they will start disbursing the funds as soon as it hits their account.

“The Ministry of Finance has released money for us to pay first term of the academic year. It was released to us just two days ago. We will distribute it the moment it hits our account. We have processed the PVs for payments so the moment it reflects in our account we will invite the schools to come for the cheques. The Ministry is offering GHc44.9 million. It’s not only the three regions in the north, it’s for second cycleschools in general, but for the three regions in the north, we will require over GHc30 million.”

He said “about GHc 35 million” of that amount will be disbursed to schools in the northern part of the country while the rest is distributed to schools with scholarship beneficiaries.

Group threatens demo

A youth group in the Northern Region, the Progressive Youth Alliance, had earlier threatened a massive demonstration against the Mahama led administration if it does not immediately pay the feeding grants of students in schools in the north.

In a Citi News interview, a leader of the group, Latif Solomon indicated that his group and many others will carry out the threat of the demonstration if government does not pay the grant money by Friday, June 17.

–

 

By: Godwin A. Allotey/citifmonline.com/Ghana
Follow @AlloteyGodwin

Previous Post

UN against social media ban on election day – Ibn Chambas

Next Post

NBFIs press BoG to join Mobile Money deliberations

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always