• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Confiscated Boko Haram bomb explodes

June 18, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Confiscated Boko Haram bomb explodes
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

At least 23 people have been killed in the north-eastern Nigerian town of Monguno after a Boko Haram bomb confiscated by vigilantes exploded, an MP and army source have told the BBC.

The vigilantes were celebrating a successful operation with the military against the Islamist militants.
An improvised explosive device (IED) went off killing and injuring people gathered around the celebrations.
Despite losing territory this year, Boko Haram still controls a few areas.

The BBC’s Nigeria correspondent Will Ross says although it seems to have been an accident, this tragedy highlights the danger that remains even after the jihadists have been flushed out of an area.

“The vigilante group together with the military decided to go to villages in Marte local government [area] where there is preponderance of Boko Haram elements,” MP Tahir Monguno told the BBC Hausa service.

“In the course of the operation they killed some Boko Haram insurgents and they confiscated their weapons,” he said.

But one of the vigilantes failed to disclose one of the IEDs picked up during the two-day mission and took it back to Monguno, about 135km (83 miles) north-east of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri.

“Because of the successes they recorded there was celebration galore,” the MP said, with many people joining in.

Ten people were killed instantaneously when the device exploded on Tuesday evening and another 13 people died by the time the injured were taken to Maiduguri, he said.

“Fifteen of them are [still] in the intensive care unit of the hospital,” Mr Monguno said.

A military source told the BBC that 12 people transported to Maiduguri had died but was unable to confirm the number of those who died in Monguno.
Earlier, a witness told the Associated Press news agency that the device was found at an abandoned Boko Haram camp.

According to Amnesty International, at least 17,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed since the group launched their violent uprising to impose Islamic rule in 2009.

The group is still holding many women, girls and children captive, including 219 schoolgirls it kidnapped from a school in Chibok in April last year.
With the help of Niger and Chad, Nigeria’s military has been able to recapture most towns and villages taken by the group.

Despite losing territory, the militants are still active in the north-east and Chad blames Boko Haram for two suicide attacks in its capital, N’Djamena on Monday.

–

Source: BBC

Tags: Papa Owusu Ankomah
Previous Post

Unemployed nurses, midwives to demonstrate against government

Next Post

Stop using “juju” in court – Judge

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always