The Ashanti Regional Police Command will today [Friday] screen some 40 persons arrested so far in connection with last Wednesday’s clashes in Tafo.
The 40 were picked by the Police for their alleged involvement in the unrest which has claimed one life, injured others and destroyed several property.
Speaking to Citi News, the Ashanti Regional Police PRO, ASP Yusif Tanko, said persons found culpable after the screening will prosecuted.
[contextly_sidebar id=”TWpQmZR8Xn6NdMobnD6khEU9QrGhxbGe”]“I can tell you that for now we have arrested about 40 persons within Tafo and we are trying to arrest more per the information that comes to us. We have also picked information that some youth from Sawaba, Aboabo and Asawase have threatened to join the Muslim youth and Tafo and we are sending caution to them to desist from that particular act. We are also appealing to those at Tafo to observe the peace and go back to their homes. So those arrested will be screened and those who are found to have been caught by accident will be allowed to go”.
Clashes in the area over a piece of cemetery land led to the death of 25 year old Aminu Suleman while scores of residents were wounded and property destroyed.
The attack extended to destruction of property in churches and a mosque. The Ashanti Regional Security Council subsequently placed a dusk to dawn curfew on the town which it says will be reviewed as and when the situation changes.
Schools closed down
Meanwhile, when Citi News’ Ashanti Regional Correspondent, Hawa Iddrisu who visited the area on Thursday, reports that some school authorities have shut down in fear of further attacks.
Some teachers told Citi News they closed down the schools because most pupils were absent.
He said, “Parents are not comfortable with the security in the area. If they allow the children to come, they don’t know what will happen afterwards.”
Another teacher said they asked the few children that turned up to go home “because of the clashes.”
“When we came today, there were no children there so we had to close and go home. They are afraid of what happened yesterday [Wednesday] since it could be repeated today [Thursday],” another teacher added.
Earlier on Thursday, scores of young people gathered in front of the chief’s palace, prepared to defend the chief in anticipation of another attack by the Muslim community.
The Muslim youth were angry a fence wall around their cemetery land was demolished by the traditional authority.
The Muslims had accused the traditional authority of illegal sale of their cemetery land which they had fenced to prevent encroachment, yet the fence was demolished.
By: Ebenezer Afanyi Dadzie/citifmonline.com/Ghana