Pupils and students in all the government special schools for the physically challenged have been asked to return home until further notice due to government’s delay in releasing their subventions.
Citi News checks show that government failed to release monies for the 2013 academic year and the schools have still not received funds for the 2014 academic year which began on Tuesday.
The schools as a result have been forced to turn away pupils and students who showed up on the re-opening date.
Speaking to Citi News, the Headmaster of the Cape Coast School for the deaf and blind Fetumte Ameteywee pleaded with government to come to the aid of the affected children.
[contextly_sidebar id=”TkHWgNONOvt97aTCNVF87mZixRJoWsxC”]“We know that times are hard but we are just pleading with the Central government to speed up the situation.”
He stated that students were sent home for almost three to four weeks last term due to lack of funds to cater for them.
“They were supposed to report on Tuesday with their regular counterparts but when they came we had to let them go because if they stay on, we would not be able to get money to feed them.”
He said about 400 students have so far been affected by the problem.
Meanwhile the President of the Conference of Special Schools in Ghana,Gayhart Charles Gbekle who confirmed this to Citi News said government has assured them the monies will be released soon.
“As of the end of last term, we did not receive all the grants. But we managed to sail through with a little from government and other benevolent organisations,”
“We have been holding series of forums and discussions with the Ghana Education Service and on Monday, we had our last meeting and as I talk now they have released the arrears for last term,” Mr. Gbekle stated.
By: Marian Efe Ansah/citifmonline.com/Ghana