The Ministry of Youth and Sports has begun investigations into media reports indicating that certain Ghanaian citizens requested asylum from the Brazilian government.
About a week ago, stories of Ghanaians seeking asylum in Brazil after the World Cup made the headlines in the international media.
The stories revealed that the fans had stated religious conflicts as the basis for their appeals to the Brazilian government.
In a statement sent out on the 15th of July and signed by the Minister of Youth and Sports, Mahama Ayariga, the Ministry has called for documents from the various travel and tour agencies contracted to convey fans to Brazil to support the national team.The documents reveal the following:
1. Apart from Ghanaian fans sponsored by the Ministry, individuals and other organisations passengers were on board the same flight.
2. The total number of Ministry of Youth and Sports sponsored passengers were 612.
3. A total of 807 passengers boarded the flight from Accra to Brazil.
4. A total number of 704 passengers boarded the flight from Brazil back to Accra.
5. A passenger shortfall of 103 is yet to return from Brazil.
6. 195 passengers who were privately sponsored by themselves or corporate entities were on board the departure flight.
Meanwhile the Ministry of Youth and Sports is working closely with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration to discern the identity of the Ghanaian asylum seekers.
By: Benjamin Nketsia/citifmonline.com/Ghana