Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association after headbutting Hull midfielder David Meyler.
Pardew, 52, was sent to the stand for the incident during the second half of the Magpies’ 4-1 win at the KC Stadium.
He apologised after Saturday’s match, but Newcastle have fined him £100,000 and issued a formal warning, although he will not face criminal punishment.
He has until 6 March to contest the charge, which could lead to a long ban.
With the Magpies 3-1 up, Pardew was angered when 24-year-old Meyler shoved past him in an attempt to retrieve the ball to take a throw-in.
The pair came together, with the former Reading, West Ham, Charlton and Southampton boss pushing his head into the face of the Hull player, before Pardew was sent from the touchline.
The FA statement said: “It is alleged that in the 72nd minute of the fixture, Pardew was involved in an incident with a Hull City player that amounted to improper conduct.
“Due to the serious violent and/or aggressive nature of the reported behaviour this case has been designated as non-standard. Pardew has until 6pm on Thursday 6 March 2014 to respond to the charge.”
Pardew, who retains the support of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, does not intend to contest the charge and will accept whatever sanction the FA imposes without an appeal.
Leading figures at the FA view the incident as more serious than then-Blackpool manager Paul Ince’s shove on an official, which resulted in a five-match stadium ban in October.
Ex-Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd expects the FA to “make an example of Pardew”.
“It will be bigger than a 10-match ban, they [the FA] will really go to town,” Shepherd told BBC Sport.
“He is human and he lost the plot. The club have done the right thing in giving him a huge fine, a month’s wages.
“He has apologised and he shouldn’t have done it. It was ridiculous, but he will face the penalty and carry that around for the rest of his life.
“Twenty million people saw it and I have a feeling the FA will really make an example of him.”
In September 2012, Pardew was fined £20,000 and given a two-match touchline ban for pushing assistant referee Peter Kirkup in a 2-1 win over Tottenham.
After Saturday’s match, the Newcastle boss said: “I did not mean any damage to the guy but I have moved my head forward. I tried to push him away with my head.
“I apologise to everyone. I should not have got involved. I don’t think it was a headbutt. It wasn’t a motion that was quick.”
In a statement on Saturday, Newcastle said the incident was “unacceptable” and “not the behaviour we expect from the manager”.
“We have held discussions with Alan, who has offered his sincere apologies,” the club added. “It is clear he deeply regrets his actions.
“It is disappointing this incident has taken the focus away from what was a fantastic performance by the team and an excellent result away from home which leaves the club in eighth place in the Premier League.”
Humberside Police said there will be no criminal proceedings against Pardew, adding that no complaint had been received from the player or Hull.
“While we appreciate that some people may have found the behaviour displayed at the game on Saturday offensive, Humberside Police will not be taking any further action,” said chief inspector Rich Kirven.
Pardew has been in charge of Newcastle since December 2010, winning 59 of 152 games in all competitions.