• Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
No Result
View All Result
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events
Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson jury issues no charges

November 25, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson jury issues no charges

Protesters in Ferguson followed the announcement by radio

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A grand jury has decided not to charge a Missouri policeman over the death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown.

Announcing the decision, state prosecutor Robert McCulloch said the jury exhaustively examined evidence.

Mr Brown’s family said they were “profoundly disappointed”. Police said shots were fired and cars vandalised after the announcement.

Michael Brown, 18, was killed by Darren Wilson in Ferguson on 9 August. His death sparked weeks of demonstrations.

Some protests turned violent, and police were criticised for responding with military grade riot equipment.

As the decision was announced late on Monday, hundreds of protesters gathered outside the police department in Ferguson, a suburb of St Louis.

They followed on radios and mobile phones as Mr McCulloch made a statement explaining the decision.

Tear gas

The prosecutor said that the jury’s job had been to separate fact from fiction, and that some witness statements had been contradicted by physical evidence.

Mr Brown’s family had joined public officials in calling for calm.

After the announcement, they issued a statement saying they were “profoundly disappointed that the killer of our child will not face the consequence of his actions”.

A little later, Ferguson police said on their Twitter feed that shots had been fired, and some protesters were seen vandalising cars. Police responded with tear gas.

President Barack Obama made a statement urging those who disagreed with the grand jury’s decision to protest peacefully.

The case has stoked racial tensions in the US, with many in the African American community calling for Mr Wilson to be charged with murder.

Protesters have been chanting, “Hands up, don’t shoot” – a reference to statements by some witnesses who said Mr Brown had his hands up in apparent surrender to the officer when he was shot.

Police have said there was a struggle between the teenager and the officer before the shooting.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon had declared a state of emergency in the area and called in 400 National Guard troops in anticipation of protests ahead of Monday’s announcement.

 

Source: BBC

Tags: Palaver NewspaperPapa Owusu Ankomah
Previous Post

Hunger Games scores biggest debut

Next Post

Cocaine Saga : Gov’t has disgraced itself – Obiri Boahen

  • About Citi FM
  • Archives
  • Audio on Demand
  • CITI OPPORTUNITY PROJECT ON EDUCATION (COPE)
  • Events
  • Heritage Caravan: Registration Form
  • Home
  • Schedule
Call us: +233 30 222 6013

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Schedule
  • News
    • Citi Sports
    • Citi Business
  • Citi TV
  • Audio On Demand
  • Events

© 2024 Citi 97.3 FM - Relevant Radio. Always