The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) has revealed that only families who lost relations during the June 3rd twin disaster are being compensated by the government.
According to the National Coordinator of NADMO, Brigadier General Francis Vib Sanziri, the GH¢10,000 compensation was paid to each family that lost a relative.
[contextly_sidebar id=”YeWFONR2k3UuDie9UYFQiAkQPaeqvGOb”]Government offered to pay families that lost their relatives in the flood and fire disaster that claimed about 150 lives GH¢10,000 compensation each.
Some victims who sustained injuries had however accused NADMO and the government of neglecting them in the disbursement of the compensation.
But addressing the press in Accra on Tuesday, the National Coordinator of NADMO stated that the compensation was only paid to families that lost relations as well as some identified victims.
He added the government and not the NADMO was directly involved in the distribution,
“It was strictly compensation to the dead, it was not for all victims, and the compensation was GH¢10,000… I will say that aspect was not handled directly by NADMO but by the office of the president,” he said.
The NADMO boss could however not readily tell how many people had so far benefitted from the package.
He said a number of the surviving victims have also been provided with relief items while some were yet to receive theirs.
Meanwhile Brigadier General Francis Vib Sanziri has expressed worry at the lukewarm attitude of some of the surviving victims who have still not registered, saying their inability to do so was making it difficult for NADMO to have a complete database of the actual number of people who were affected in the disaster.
By : Pius Amihere Eduku/citifmonline.com/Ghana