Top Kebab/Pizza Top in Havering has been fined more than £7,500 after inspectors found decorating materials and drill bits being stored near food.
Garlic sauce with that? Council inspectors said it could have been a lot more serious
An unlucky takeaway customer bit off a little more than he could chew when he tucked in to a chicken doner kebab and found a three inch drill bit.
The irate man complained to council health officers that he almost cracked a tooth on the piece of metal and the fas food restaurant has been fined more than £7,500.
Top Kebab/Pizza Top in Havering, north London, was visited by environmental health workers who found the premises undergoing renovations.
They discovered electrical equipment, screwdrivers, decorating materials and drill bits being stored near where food was being prepared.
Owner Nehmatullah Jamalzadah was fined £7,726 by Romford Magistrates for breaking section 14 of the Food Safety Act 1990.
Havering Council cabinet member for regulatory services, Councillor Osman Dervish, said: “This could have been a lot more serious and I am relieved that the customer did not come to any harm.
“The owner of this takeaway had a responsibility to keep customers safe while the building work was carried out and this was clearly ignored.”