The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has explained that out of the 242,162 candidates who sat for the May/June 2014 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), only 7,442, representing 3.07 per cent, failed in all the subjects they wrote.
“According to the interpretation of grades for the examination, F9 is a fail. Thus, those who could be said to have failed the WASSCE are the ones who obtained F9 in all subjects they sat for,” a statement signed by the Principal Public Relations Officer of WAEC, Mrs Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, explained.
The explanation follows concerns from the public that 71.89 per cent of the candidates failed the WASSCE.
“The council wishes to explain that the fact that 28.11 per cent made grades A1 to C6 in six subjects does not mean the remaining 71.89 per cent failed the examination.”
“A candidate could obtain A1 in five or more subjects, but if the candidate obtains, say, D7 in English Language or Mathematics (Core), he or she will not be counted among the 28.11 per cent but that does not mean he/she has failed in the examination,” the statement said.
The statement further indicated that in addition to the earlier statistics, “it may interest the public to know that 74,445 candidates, representing 30.74 per cent, obtained grades A1 to C6 in five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics (Core), which qualified candidates for other institutions and professions