The Central Regional National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) says there is no cause for alarm following the flooding of some areas in the Cape Coast Municipality.
According to them, no resident was displaced by the incident.
Some areas in the Cape Coast Municipality got flooded on Wednesday after a heavy rainstorm.
Several structures including schools and church buildings were affected.
Citi News’ Central Regional correspondent, Kwamena Bamfo-Adjei who visited the affected communities reported that about four churches had been hit and its members were trying to retrieve some items from the buildings.
A resident he spoke to said: “We have lost a lot of things. I don’t think I can even mention them due to the magnitude.”
The Central Regional NADMO coordinator, Yisande Amartey in an interview with Citi News explained that “people haven’t been displaced; the water receded immediately after the rains so I don’t think there is any cause for alarm. We are firmly on the ground.”
Mr. Amartey attributed the intensity of the flooding to the construction of a fuel station in the middle of a waterway which prevented the free flow of the rainwater during the rainstorm.
He noted that his outfit is currently assessing the extent of damage that has been caused and “until we send the report to Accra, we cannot do anything immediately.”
He however dismissed claims that about 40 houses had been affected but clarified that an estimated number of about 26 houses were hit by the flood.
He revealed personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service had been deployed to pump out the water from the affected buildings d and assured residents that NADMO was working to put the situation under control.
By Afua Kesewa Akoto/citifmonline.com/Ghana